Directory website terms and conditions (free and paid)
Our directory website terms and conditions are designed for use in relation to online listings services, especially those offering both free and paid listings.
The T&Cs include detailed rules on what is (and what is not) permitted in the directory, covering both the content and the purpose of the submission.
There is an express licence, setting out what the website operator is permitted to do with the directory submissions. For instance, you will need to consider the extent to which the website operator is permitted to edit submissions or re-post them on other websites.
The T&Cs distinguish between two categories of directory listing: free and paid. In general, those paying for listings can expect some guarantees in relation to the listing services, such as a guarantee that listings will not arbitrarily be removed during the paid-for period. By contrast, few guarantees will be offered in relation to free listings.
Additionally, the T&Cs template contains standard limitations on use of the website, including protection of the operator's intellectual property rights in the website. There is a copyright notice, a restricted licence granted to website visitors and explicit protection of the website operator's trade marks.
Whilst use of the website will constitute tacit acceptance of the T&Cs by the user, wherever a user is registering or posting material to the website, that user should be asked to give his or her express agreement to the T&Cs.
This template is designed for business listings; it does not contain the consumer protection necessary when individuals purchase services. Nor does this template include data processing clauses it assumes that the website operator will be a controller with respect to any personal data contained in directory submission, and that the controller's disclosure obligations will be covered in a separate privacy notice.Ask about this document
Directory website terms and conditions (free and paid) contents
- Introduction: document governs website use; consent to website document: implied; consent to website terms and conditions: express; website user minimum age.
- Copyright notice: UCC copyright notice; ownership of rights in website.
- Permission to use website: licence to use website; no downloading; website use: permitted purposes; no modification of website content; limitations on licence to use website; redistributable content; suspension or restriction of access to website.
- Misuse of website: acceptable use: prohibitions; veracity of information supplied.
- Use on behalf of organisation: use on behalf of another.
- Registration and accounts: account eligibility; account registration process; no other person permitted to use account; notify on misuse of account; use of another's account.
- User login details: provision of login details; user ID rules and impersonation; password to be kept confidential; notify on disclosure of password; responsibility for password loss.
- Cancellation and suspension of account: rights of operator over account with paid services; cancellation of website account with paid services by user.
- Directory: website directory.
- Free directory listings: free directory listing submission process; free directory listing period; deletion of free listings.
- Paid directory listings: paid directory listing submission process; input error correction and identification; benefits of paid submissions; paid directory listing period; deletion of paid listings.
- Rules about directory submissions: directory submissions positive rules; directory submissions compliance with acceptable use etc; keeping directory submission up to date; no directory submission with unlawful purpose; reservation of right to reject or delete directory submissions; no refunds on rejection or deletion of directory submissions.
- Fees: fees specified on website; amounts inclusive or exclusive of VAT; payment of fees; variation of fees; disputed payments; unjustified charge-backs; unpaid fees: withdrawal of services; right of set off.
- Our role: acknowledgement of website operator role (advertising platform); provision subject to limitations of liability.
- Our rights to use your content: definition of user content; licence of user content; sub-licensing of user content; right to bring proceedings in respect of user content; waiver of moral rights in user content; user may edit own content; delete etc user content on breach.
- Rules about your content: user content warranty; no unlawful user content; user content rules; civility and user content; hyperlinking and user content; previous complaints and user content.
- Report abuse: request to report abuse; how to report abuse.
- Limited warranties: no warranties for information; right to discontinue website publication; no implied warranties or representations relating to website.
- Limitations and exclusions of liability: caveats to limits of liability; interpretation of limits of liability; no liability for free information or services; no liability for force majeure; no liability for business losses; no liability for loss of data or software; no liability for consequential loss; no personal liability; liability cap upon services contract.
- Indemnity: indemnity from website users.
- Breaches of these terms and conditions: consequences of breach; non circumvention of measures upon breach.
- Third party websites: third party websites: hyperlinks not recommendations; third party websites: no control or liability.
- Trade marks: trade mark ownership; third party trade marks on website.
- Competitions: competitions on website; competition terms and conditions.
- Variation: document may be revised; variation of website document: unregistered users; variation of website document: registered users.
- Assignment: assignment by first party; assignment by second party.
- Severability: severability of whole; severability of parts.
- Third party rights: third party rights: benefit; third party rights: exercise of rights.
- Entire agreement: entire agreement - use of website.
- Law and jurisdiction: governing law; jurisdiction.
- Statutory and regulatory disclosures: copy of document not filed; language of document; ecommerce regulations: trade register; ecommerce regulations: authorisation scheme; ecommerce regulations: professionals; ecommerce regulations: code of conduct; value added tax number.
- Our details: website operator name; company registration details; place of business; contact information.