Prize competition rules
This is a set of rules designed to regulate an online prize competition. The rules take into account both the rules of English law relating to prize competitions, and the CAP rules related to prize promotions. The rules are relatively flexible, and may be suitable for use in relation to a range of different types of online competition.
You should always take care to ensure that your competition does not give rise to legal issues under applicable gambling and gaming laws. For instance, a paid-entry competition with a low skill barrier can constitute an illegal lottery. Take legal advice if necessary.Ask about this document
Prize competition rules contents
- Introduction: document applicability to competitions; how to enter competition; competition entry cost.
- Eligibility and entry restrictions: general eligibility criteria for competition; maximum entries per person; maximum total competition entries.
- Start and closing dates: competition opening and closing dates.
- Judging: identification of competition judges; competition judging criteria; independence of judges; no prizes for ineligible competition entrants.
- Winners and prizes: competition prizes; notification of prize winners; announcement of competition results; competition prizes and cash alternatives.
- Copyright and moral rights: warranties relating to competition entries; licence to use competition entries; waiver of moral rights in competition entries.
- What happens to entries?: return of competition entries.
- Publicity: publicity relating to competition; promotional packs for competitions.
- Our details: prize competition operator name; place of business; contact information.