Website hosting terms and conditions
These website hosting terms and conditions set out the basis upon which a business may provide B2B hosting in relation to a particular website or websites.
A skeleton services order form is provided with the terms and conditions. This document - which may be online or offline - should contain all the contract variables. These variables may include the identity of the hosted website(s), the technical specification of the hosting services, the financial arrangements between the parties, the minimum term of the contract, and of course the details of the customer.
The substantive provisions of this document are nearly identical to those of our website hosting agreement: the differences are of form. This document may be preferable where the hosting services provider is not expecting to negotiate any of the terms of the contract.
The terms and conditions include a GDPR-friendly data protection clause, providing coverage for both the EU GDPR and the UK GDPR.Ask about this document
Website hosting terms and conditions contents
- Definitions: definitions.
- Term: commencement of term; end of term (indefinite); each services order form creates distinct contract.
- Implementation of
Hosting Services: obligation to implement hosting services; date for completion of implementation of hosting services; post-implementation testing of hosting services. Hosting Services: obligation to provide hosting services; availability of hosting services; right to suspend hosting services for scheduled maintenance; times for provision of scheduled maintenance; hosting services resources; hardware failures and hosting services; hosting services acceptable use policy; no use of hosting services for unlawful purpose; no resale of hosting services; no access to hosting platform; suspension of hosting services.
- Helpdesk: helpdesk for hosting services support.
- Customerobligations: general second party obligations; access to computer systems; third party software licences (hosting services); responsibility for passwords (hosting services).
Hosted Data: licence of hosted data; warranties relating to hosted data; right to edit or delete hosted data; back-up of hosted data; restoration of hosted data;Customerresponsibility for hosted data back-ups; hosted data upon termination.
- No assignment of
Intellectual Property Rights: no assignments of intellectual property rights.
- Charges: obligation to pay charges; amounts inclusive or exclusive of VAT; variation of charges.
- Payments: issue of invoices; time for payment of charges following invoice; payment methods; interest on late payments; interest on late payments.
- Host's confidentiality obligations: first party confidentiality undertaking (no permitted purpose limitation); disclosure of confidential information by first party to certain persons (no permitted purpose); exceptions to first party's confidentiality obligations; disclosures of second party confidential information mandated by law etc; first party confidentiality obligations after termination.
- Data protection: compliance with data protection laws; warranty of Customer's right to disclose personal data (GDPR); details of personal data and purposes of processing bythe Host(GDPR); duration of personal data processing byHost(GDPR); personal data processed byHoston instructions (GDPR); authorised international transfers of personal data (GDPR); informingCustomerof illegal instructions (GDPR); personal data processed byHostas required by law (GDPR); confidentiality obligations onHostpersons processing personal data (GDPR); security of personal data processed byHost(GDPR); appointment of sub-processor byHost(GDPR); authorisation forHostto appoint sub-processors (GDPR);Hostto assist with exercise of data subject rights (GDPR);Hostto assist with compliance (GDPR); obligation to notifyCustomerof personal data breach (GDPR);Hostto provide data protection compliance information (GDPR); deletion of personal data byHost(GDPR);Hostto allow audit (GDPR); changes to data protection law.
- Warranties: standard of hosting services; first party general warranties; second party warranty of authority; exclusion of implied warranties and representations.
- Indemnities: indemnity upon breach: any provision or specified provisions (with definition); conditions upon first party indemnity; indemnity upon breach: any provision or specified provisions (with definition); conditions upon second party indemnity; limitations of liability vs indemnities.
- Limitations and exclusions of liability: caveats to limits of liability; interpretation of limits of liability; no liability for force majeure; no liability for loss of profits; no liability for loss of revenue; no liability for loss of use; no liability for loss of opportunities; no liability for loss of data or software (subject to back-up obligations); no liability for consequential loss; per event liability cap upon services contract; aggregate liability cap upon services contract.
Force Majeure Event: obligations suspended for force majeure; force majeure notification and information; mitigation of effects of force majeure.
- Termination: termination without cause (optionally asymmetric); termination by either party without cause; termination upon breach; termination upon insolvency; termination upon non-payment.
- Effects of termination: surviving provisions upon termination; termination does not affect accrued rights; charges on termination of contract (hosting services).
- Notices: methods and deemed receipt of contractual notices; first party contact details for contractual notices; substitute contact details for notices.
- Subcontracting: no subcontracting without consent; subcontracting permitted; first party responsible for subcontracted obligations.
- General: no waiver; severability; variation written and signed; asymmetric assignment of contractual rights; no third party rights; entire agreement; governing law; exclusive jurisdiction.
- Interpretation: statutory references; section headings not affecting interpretation; calendar month meaning; no ejusdem generis.
Schedule 1 (Acceptable Use Policy)
- Introduction: definitions for acceptable use policy for hosting services; parties to policy; agreement to policy by using services; express agreement to policy.
- General usage rules: no damaging use of services; no unlawful use of services; content must comply with provisions of part.
Content: no unlawful user content: general prohibition; no unlawful user content: specific prohibitions; previous complaints and user content.
- Graphic material: age suitability of user content; no violence in user content; no pornographic user content.
- Marketing and spam: prohibition on marketing activities; no spam in user content; sending spam using email addresses; no promotion of marketing schemes; avoidance of IP blacklisting.
- Regulated businesses: no gambling-related activities; no pharmaceutical activities; no weapon-related activities.
- Monitoring: acknowledgement relating to monitoring.
- Data mining: no data mining.
- Harmful software: no harmful software; no risky software.