This is a template for an ebook disclaimer: the text often found near the start of the ebook that disclaims liability in relation to the use of the ebook. In addition to disclaiming liability in various ways, this template also includes a licence of copyright. The licence specifies exactly what the customer or user is permitted to do with the ebook, as well a detailing prohibitions on use.
The disclaimer need not form part of a contract between the publisher and the customer or use, but it may be easier to enforce the terms of the disclaimer if some formal acceptance or consent has been given by the user of the ebook (for instance, via a check box).
The disclaimer does not attempt to deal with legal issues relating to the sale of the ebook. For instance, the distance selling rules are not covered. See our ebook download agreement for a more comprehensive document covering liability, licensing and sale.Ask about this document
Ebook disclaimer contents
- Copyright notice: copyright details; intellectual property rights reserved.
- Licence to use ebook: licence to use ebook; prohibitions on use of ebook; retention of ebook copyright etc notices; rights granted by document are personal; licence terminates upon breach; actions on termination of ebook licence.
- Digital rights management: digital rights management for ebook.
- Pirate copies: receiving a copy of ebook from other sources; link to buying a genuine copy of ebook.
- No advice: ebook contains information not advice; no reliance on information in the ebook; ebook and medical attention; no legal advice in ebook.
- Limited warranties: accuracy of ebook content; no warranty that ebook will lead to outcome; exclusion of warranties etc in relation to ebook.
- Limitations and exclusions of liability: caveats to limits of liability; interpretation of limits of liability; no liability for force majeure; no liability for business losses; no liability for loss of data or software; no liability for consequential loss.
- Trade marks: trade mark ownership; third party trade marks in ebook.
- Law and jurisdiction: governing law; jurisdiction.